To be an outstanding Department known for its quality education, research to produce graduates who address major societal issues and solve technical challenges faced by food processing and associated industries through novel environmentally safe technologies.
- To instill students with a strong fundamental knowledge and develop necessary skills to meet the needs of a rapidly changing food industries in terms of nutrition, safety and functionality.
- To provide students with quality engineering education, so as to enable them to address the needs of Food Technology profession in particular and society in general.
- To develop adoptable technologist with entrepreneurship and leadership qualities to solve scientific challenges keeping in mind the safety and ethical concerns.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
After 4 years of graduation, the Food Technology graduates will:
- Choose their career as practicing food technologists in traditional food industries as well as in expanding areas food biotechnology and related industries.
- Engage in Post-Baccalaureate study and make timely progress towards an advanced degree in food technology or a related technical discipline or business.
- Function effectively in the complex modern work environment with the ability to assume professional leadership roles.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
- Specify, develop and design industrial food product systems and processes with regard tohuman needs and conditions, meet the goals of society, both local and global, for sustainable development.
- Identify, formulate and treat complex issues in the field of food technology from a holistic perspective and participate in research and development projects.