To evolve as a centre of excellence for teaching learning, research and consultancy, integrating basic sciences with engineering applications, to produce world class, industry ready skilled young engineers in the field of Petrochemical Engineering with calibre to develop sustainable processes and system, yielding innovative products aimed to serve the nation and the global community.
Petrochemical Engineering Department is committed:
- To bring out industry ready, career oriented graduates by means of innovative practices in teaching and learning.
- To educate students to design and develop intelligent products and services meeting global demands and standards.
- To promote collaborative learning and research with industry, government and international organizations for continuous knowledge transfer and enhancement.
- To inculcate ethical values, communication, team works, leadership and entrepreneurial skills to contribute to society.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
Graduates of Petro Chemical Engineering Program
PEO1: Shall have contemporary knowledge and competency in petro-chemical engineering complemented with appropriate practical skills.
PEO2: Shall work as team members on multidisciplinary projects with effective communication skills, individual, supportive and leadership qualities with the right attitudes and ethics.
PEO3: Shall have interest on life-long learning, research and development to continuously strive for the forefront of technology.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSO)
PSO1: Ability to work on contemporary domains like hydrocarbon and hybrid fuel, thermal energy, waste and pollution management.
PSO2: Have abilities to successfully qualify in national and international level competitive examinations for higher studies and employment.
About The Department
The Department of Petrochemical Engineering was started in the year 2011 to render services to the student community to meet as the global industrial expectations. The department is well equipped with various laboratories with modern sophisticated equipments.
The Department’s mission is to advance, evolve and enhance petrochemical engineering fundamentals to build the intellectual capital of our research and of our students. Our endeavor is to make the PCE Department an important regional, national and international resource center for the development of energy (oil & gas) and environment (pollution free sustainable processes & products) sectors.
Petrochemical Engineers are able to break down oil or natural gas into its base components and then reconstruct it as specific types of oil products such as auto fuel, as well as plastics, polymers and other compounds found in many everyday products. Petrochemical Engineering graduates have plenty of job opportunities in manufacturing and service sector industries such as oil and gas reservoirs, specialty chemicals, rubber and plastics, power production, biotechnology, tyre manufacturing, nanotechnology, mining process, mineral based industries, petrochemical plants, pharmaceuticals, paints, synthetic fibers, chemical engineering designs, nuclear energy, materials science, development of new sources of energy and even medicine.
The Engineering Graduates are employed in defense establishments, healthcare related research projects, atomic power plants, environment regulation agencies, recycling department and power conservation projects.
Over the past several years, The Petrochemical industry in India has played an influential role in initiating the fast expansion of the economy of the country by contributing as high as 15% to the gross domestic product of India. In addition, exports by this sector also gave new height to the foreign exchange earnings. Above all, the sector offers wide range of employment opportunities through the public and private sector companies operating under its purview.
Some of the popular Indian companies hiring Petrochemical Engineers are: Barauni Petrochemicals (IOCL), Bayer ABS, Cetex Petro, Chemplast Sanmar, Cochin Refineries, Digboi Petrochemicals (IOCL), Finolex Industries, Guwahati Petrochemicals (IOCL), Haldia Petrochemicals, IBP, IG Petrochemicals, Indian Petroleum Corporation, Mangalore Petrochemicals, Mathura Petrochemicals, Mumbai Petrochemicals, NOCIL, Panipat Petrochemical, Reliance Industries, South Asian Petrochem, SPIC, Vadodara Petrochemicals Plant, Vishakapatnam Petrochemicals Plant etc.